Ellen J. Garber
Joined Shute, Mihaly & Weinberger in:
Primary Practice Areas:
- Advising Transbay Joint Powers Authority on CEQA/NEPA compliance for Transbay Transit Center, Downtown Rail Extension, and associated redevelopment, including cultural resources issues, establishing funding districts, and the Transit Center District Plan.
- Advising University of California campuses at Davis, Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara on CEQA/NEPA and Coastal Act compliance related to Long Range Development Plans and campus projects.
- Advising Delta Stewardship Council on CEQA compliance for the Delta Plan and Delta Plan amendments.
- Defense of infill affordable housing projects for non-profit housing sponsors.
Community Service, Publications, and Recognitions
- Early leader in the formation of the Executive Committee of the State Bar of California Environmental Law Section, and served on the Executive and Legislation Committees for many years.
- Urban planner in both government and private practice prior to attending law school.
Member of the Bars of the State of California, U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and U.S. District Court for the Northern and Central Districts of California.
Education and Certifications
American Institute of Certified Planners, Member
UC Berkeley, JD, 1987
University of Cincinnati, Bachelor of Urban Planning, magna cum laude, first in Urban Planning class
I was a dedicated punk rock fan from 1978-1984; was a co-founder of student non-profit organization that built adventure playgrounds in inner-city Cincinnati, Ohio; and have been a book club member for 30 years.