- Defending Santa Cruz County in action claiming that state law preempted the County’s authority to regulate logging through zoning (Big Creek Lumber Co. v. County of Santa Cruz, 38 Cal.4th 1139 (2006).).
- Representing the Town of Ross, securing decision that developer’s takings claim was not ripe and equitable estoppel claim was meritless (Toigo v. Town of Ross, 70 Cal.App.4th 309 (1998).).
- Defending Santa Cruz County in takings challenge to its mobile home rent control ordinance; Court finds that lawsuit was barred by the statute of limitations (De Anza Properties X v. County of Santa Cruz, 936 F.2d 1084 (9th Cir. 1991).).
- Obtaining dismissal of developer’s takings lawsuit against County of Butte on ground claims regarding securing sewer service were not ripe for adjudication (St. Claire v. City of Chico and County of Butte, 880 F.2d 199 (9th Cir. 1989).).
Community Service, Publications, and Recognitions
- Northern California Super Lawyer (2007-2020).
- Member of State Bar Committee that inaugurated the Environmental Law Conference at Yosemite.
- Board Member, California Planning and Conservation League (2004-2020).
- Member, Advisory Board of the Center for Law, Energy, and the Environment, UC Berkeley School of Law (2008-2017).
Member of the Bar of the State of California, the United States Supreme Court, the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the District of Columbia Circuit, U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Central, Eastern Districts of California and the District of Columbia.
UC Berkeley School of Law, JD, 1979
UC Berkeley, BA, 1976
I enjoy hiking in the Bay Area and in beautiful spaces far from home, from Utah and Vermont to New Zealand and Portugal. I love to be surrounded by family and friends, sharing delicious meals, laughter and wonderful stories.